THE FIGHT FOR RESOURCES:
It was not only the fight for land that led to colonialism, but there was also a desire for natural resources and labor.:
- The colonialist countries needed raw materials to support their growing economies.
- America offered natural resources they could be used for manufacturing and as well as opened up new markets to sell their goods.
The colonies that became the USA were colonies of Great Britain. By the time the American Revolution took place, the citizens of these colonies were beginning to get tired of the British rule because the British ruled to their own contempt:
- Rebellion and discontent were rampant.
- For those people who see the change in the American government and society a real Revolution, the Revolution is essentially an economic one.
- The main reason the colonies started rebelling against ‘mother England’ was the taxation issue.
- The colonies debated England’s legal power to tax them and, furthermore, did not wish to be taxed without representation.
Liberty, republicanism, and independence are powerful causes. The British didn’t help them fulfill these rights. Such as:
- Slavery would not be abolished for another hundred years
- Women’s rights
- Women weren’t allowed to vote, go to school, and have any other basic rights
- Religious life
- People weren’t able to practice their religion freely.
- Voting wasn’t fair for Americans
- British having full power in America will affect my identity because they make their own rules and regulations and we have to follow them if disobey we would get punished and i would have no say in the politics and the government they would treat us as the low life people and that identity would stick to us and we would be known as the people with a bad identity also we wouldn’t have the enough rights. If they made any type of a caste system we would be at the bottom that affects our identity because we would be the unwanted.
- The British would make the Americans pay more taxes
- When the British empire was thriving, the Americans had minimal tax which allowed the provincials to have their own identity. But when the British empire was in debt due to the Italy and Indian war, they raised the taxes and the British soldiers were forced to live in colonists homes.